Language and cultural opportunities high school NZ
James Hargest College is got to be one of the best high school NZ, which offers a student with all rounded knowledge thus helping him/ her become a successful person in whatever field they choose.
Language and culture is one important discipline that is highly regarded at this high school NZ. The opportunities available include;
- International Trips
- Language immersion outings
- The assessment of language competence certificates
- Attendance at amazing cultural performances
- Local marae visits
- Local as well as national speech competitions
- Hosting international students
James Hargest College offers five languages at their senior campus that help provide academic and cultural opportunities to all its students. These are;
- Te Reo Maori
The academic successes for these languages as endorsed in 2013 is;
- 1 Latin
- 8 French
- 8 Spanish
- 7 Japanese
What is the importance of learning another language?
- Academic excellence
The learning of a foreign language fosters academic excellence in a student. This is because it sharpens six skills that are very essential to academic success. These are;
- Listening skills
- Concentration skills
- Clear thinking
- Concentration skills
- Presentation skills and
- The ability to manipulate language to fit into different contexts.
- Good social skills
By learning another language, the student will be forced to interact with other students the same language so that he/ she gets a better mastery of the language. One cannot learn a new language by keeping to his/ her self. The student will need to learn how to interact with others for him/ her to excel in what he/ she is learning.
The following makes this possible;
- Confidence – this is built when a student is able to speak in front of a group of people speaking in a language that is not his/ her native language.
- Teamwork – this is necessary for first leaning and involves holding conversations with fellow students who are learning the same language.
- Creativity – learning a new language is not easy and one, therefore, has to come up with innovative ways of learning things in an easier way.
- Cultural tolerance – learning a foreign language helps one understand and appreciate that culture and not thinking that a certain culture is more superior than another one
- Persistence and commitment – learning a foreign language requires one to be totally committed and persistent on understanding the new things they are learning.
We cannot deny that diverse languages are what make us all unique and by learning different languages, we give our students in high school NZ the opportunity to become better in what they do.